A friend of mine asked me a couple of questions, to which I responded with my thoughts and understanding. My exact thoughts evolved over time; I have pasted in several of my email responses to my friend, so that you can see the evolution of my thoughts. This means this is a bit of a lengthy post. To me, the evolution was almost more meaningful than the final understanding itself. I really appreciated how I feel that the Lord took what little understanding I had and added to it a little at a time until I came to a much greater understanding. As I mention down below, I am certain I have a long way to go, still, but I greatly appreciate the process.
The initial email
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this scripture [Ether 12:12]. We know that Faith is an essential component to the power of the Priesthood. My question is WHY? Is it that without faith by the "receiving" party, the priesthood power to do miracles not sufficiently strong? Is that verse literal or figurative? Is it just a waste of time/mockery of the Priesthood to exercise it without faith? In terms of "Power"- how are faith & the priesthood connected? (for example, the faith of the brother of Jared was such that he could not be withheld from within the veil, or the Priesthood power to heal the sick) Is it a law of heaven that things cannot be one-sided? (meaning, in order for a gospel principle to work, you have to have at least a sliver of desire)?
The second email
I'm thinking that the power of Faith is very similar to the power of the Priesthood. In terms of ability to work the will of The Lord, I wonder if perhaps the most important distinction between the two powers of God is simply organization. (ordinances, 'government', service, structure, etc) We know that it was by the power of faith that many things were done ( Red Sea was parted, prisons tumbled etc) Ether 16 says that all they who wrought miracles, wrought them by faith (not necessarily the priesthood?) i'm just not sure I "get it"
My first response
I want to construct a more complete answer, but here are a couple of initial thoughts. There are only 2 sources of power - God and Satan. How Satan comes to have power, I do not know, but the scriptures teach that his power is actively limited and constrained by God.
All of the works of God are done with faith. By faith the worlds were made. We are taught that our faith must be centered in Christ - I can only speculate what God's faith is centered in.
Priesthood is the organization, authorization, calling, and commission to perform certain acts. If you do not hold the proper keys for an act of faith, it won't happen. If you do not have the faith to empower your actions in the priesthood, they are of little force.
There is seemingly an order of the priesthood to which all of the children of God belong by virtue of being born - faith is active and powerful and authorized in everyone, regardless of earthly ordination. Perhaps that was a pre-mortal ordination. Women in the temple perform sacred ordinances by the power of the priesthood - whether that falls under their own priesthood or a communal holding with their husbands, I do not know.
Faith is always required on the part of the recipient, but it is as judged by God. Sick children being healed or raised from the dead, or Christ healing people far distant, or Alma seeing an angel based on the prayers of others - faith is needed on both ends, but we have no accurate way to measure or quantify faith. It would deprive the receiving party of their agency if miracles were forced on them without their desire. We typically equate righteousness with faith and while it is true that they are intertwined, there are clearly examples where people can have sufficient faith for miracles despite apparent unrighteousness. Regardless, the most powerful and sublime manifestations of God's power are always evidenced when there is both righteousness and faith. Indeed, God is powerful because he is righteous. Because He lives in accordance with Divine Law, He is Divine.
Elder Packer also spoke of two kinds of faith (Your Articles of Faith, 21 March 1962) - the first is very prevalent and lets us exist. Everyone has it to some extent. It is what gives us hope of getting anything done. The second is much more rare. It causes things to happen. He says it is as real as electricity, but a thousand times more powerful. I think Ether 12:12 saying God can do no miracle among them if they have no faith is along the lines of what you are saying. There may be an immense reservoir of water all piped up and ready to go, but it does not flow until the spigot is opened. The power of God does not come into your life until invited. Invitation is by faith. Hebrews 11 is great companion reading to Ether 12.
My second response
[In response to my friend's father's comments] I really don't think that the Priesthood is the end goal of faith. Rather, I think that the Priesthood is a tool and an organization the Lord created to develop and encourage faith in His children. Alma talks about High Priests being fore-ordained to their calling because of their great faith. The intent was that their ordination was to point people to Christ - to instill faith in others. So, through our faith, we qualify for the blessings which are administered through the Priesthood, and our callings in the Priesthood are a recognition of faith, but are intended not to signify accomplishment, but an increase in responsibility to then preach and teach and share that faith.
If you go here (Lectures on Fatih - http://ia700608.us.archive.org/1/items/compilationconta00lund/compilationconta00lund.pdf) and read, (starting on Page 8, paragraph 13) about faith, you will see that Faith is the name given to the power whereby God, who is Christ, created the Earth. Certainly, He was acting within the authority and sphere of his Priesthood, as delegated to Him from the Father, but His "Priesthood" is not the power He used, but His Faith. "Priest" and "Elder" share a common linguistic root - old man, or to go before. We are called to be Priests unto God - this does not mean that we are to lend power or authority unto Him, but rather that we will act in His name and in His cause as His authorized agent. This authorization does not inherently impart power capability or capacity. Faith is the power that makes the Priesthood meaningful.
Your Dad mentioned Section 84, which, among other things, says
19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
22 For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.
Now, clearly, faith and the Priesthood are closely intertwined. But, that is the reason that you asked the question in the first place.
For me, there is a thought experiment that made a lot of sense to me as I was heading in to work today. How effectual would you think that Faith would be in someone who is not a holder of the Priesthood and is not ordained thereunder? We have many stories and example of men, women, and children receiving blessings and performing miracles through faith when they are not organized under the Priesthood. Now, how effectual do you think the Priesthood is in a man, or anyone, who is utterly devoid of Faith? Without Faith, the Priesthood does very little good, if any. From that, I understand that Faith is more and greater than the Priesthood. I remain of my opinion that the Priesthood is the sacred delegation of authority, the right to act in the name and stead of God as His duly-appointed representative. Faith is the very power of God. It is the power God uses to create and destroy, to perform miracles, and the power He imparts to us when we beg and plead for Grace. Faith is the fundamental aspect of part of what we gained through the atonement; access to God’s power by virtue of Christ’s worthiness.
BD – Priest: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/priests?lang=eng&letter=p
BD – Melchizedek Priesthood http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/melchizedek-priesthood?lang=eng&letter=m
BD – Aaronic Priesthood http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/aaronic-priesthood?lang=eng&letter=a
BD - Faith http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/faith?lang=eng&letter=f It is notable to me that none of the Priesthood things mention power, but Faith talks of it extensively.
My third response
This does mention power. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/priesthood?lang=eng&letter=p [Study helps - Priesthood]
I have, several times since I sent that email, happened across references to the power of the priesthood. They have of course caught my attention, but so far I think they have been consistent with considering the Priesthood as an organization and key. Let me know when you "get it" and you can explain it to me.
My fourth and, for now, final response
Mel pointed out this talk from the most recent conference: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/this-is-my-work-and-glory?lang=eng
Elder Ballard indicated that "The Power of the Priesthood" is the power by which the world was created, and several other things that Joseph Smith positively identified as being associated with Faith. At first, I was a bit confused, but then I realized that this reinforces my earlier statement that there really are only two powers - God's and Satan's (though, sometimes it sounds like Satan's power is given to him of God; I don't have that sorted out yet).
Sometimes, the scriptures will use "power" to be synonymous with ability, capability, or capacity. That is not the useage we have been discussing. Sometimes, also, people will refer to the power of the priesthood, meaning the strength and support and ability to do that comes from the organization of the priesthood, which is also not what we are talking about. That is the aspect of the priesthood (the authority and organization) that I had been thinking of and focused on, but it is not a complete picture. Just as Jesus Christ has many names and titles, which help us to understand His attributes and His roles in the Plan of Salvation, so also the Power of God has multiple names, which helps emphasize to us the various aspects of that power.
Power of
-the Priesthood
-Faith
-the Atonement
-righteousness
-Heaven
-Creation/procreation
-the Holy Ghost
Calling it the Priesthood Power highlights that God is the Great High Priest, and that we are organized and unified under His order, and only in obedience to that organization and authority can the power flow into our lives.
Faith highlights our need to follow the Savior and trust in Him. We report through Christ in the priesthood order, and so the power that comes into our life comes through Him, as we are faithful to Him. Faith is that characteristic in us that describes our acceptance of and devotion to Christ as our Savior.
The Atonement is the act of God that cleanses us and makes us worthy recipients of God's power. Because of and through the atonement, we are permitted access to and use of that power. It is a gateway, an access key.
Righteousness is the characteristic of God that makes Him powerful; the more closely we align our behavior with His, the more freely the power can flow into and through us to bless others. Because God is perfectly obedient (read: righteous), he is perfectly powerful and able to do all things.
The power of heaven further differentiates God's power from Satan's.
The power of creation/procreation epitomizes God. He is the only and great Creative Being in the universe. Satan's powers are unable to create; only to destroy. This is also a sacred power which he entrusts His children with. The abuse of that power constitutes the most common grievous sins: immorality and murder.
The Holy Ghost is the medium or vehicle through which God's power is often manifest in our lives. The cleansing, strengthening, and transforming affects of the atonement are wrought within us through the workings of the Holy Ghost. Our hearts are comforted and healed through God's power by the workings of the Holy Ghost.
I feel that this is a more complete and accurate picture of God's power and the scripture's use of the word power. I am sure there is yet much for me to learn, though.
1 comment:
I have often thought about how the faith of the recipient plays a part in this power. It doesn't seem right to me that someone can limit the power of God because he doesn't have faith. To me God is all powerful and can do to or with us whatever is righteous and he desires.
I've answered the dilemma in my mind by thinking that the lack of faith on the part of some changes the desire in God to perform miracles in their midst because of their unbelief, not that he couldn't if we wanted to. Having faith is pleasing to God and required to have him be happy with us.
I'm not sure this is correct, but makes more sense to me although I agree it is not the natural interpretation of the words "could do" no miracles.
Post a Comment